Sunday, February 13, 2011

Weekend Recap(s)

With June 1st around the corner and tax season in full swing, my husband has been MIA working and studying for the CFA. Although I enjoy the alone time to relax or clean house, I usually end up missing my playmate and calling him several times during the day just to chat. From now until June 1st I have made Saturday evenings, mandatory date night!  The last two weekends have been great.

Last weekend Paul got off work early – 4 to meet me at one of my favorite furniture stores in Charlotte to pick up our new bed. We have been in our house for over 3 years and still had not purchase a bed. We have our hearts set on this beauty from Ethan Allen, but a couple months ago I fell in love with fabric headboards. So last Saturday when I was window shopping I found a king size fabric/nail head headboard for the perfect price! Here is a photo after we set it up, I will update later with a finished picture of our Master Suite.




Thanks to Rodney at The Furniture Connector!

After relaxing Saturday night, we got started on dinner! A couple months ago we decided to introduce one vegetarian meal a week in our diet. While on my trip to SLC I came across a recipe for Egggplant Parmesan. What makes this recipe special is frying is not in the directions! We normally fry our eggplant, which makes it super unhealthy. It was very delicious and will more than likely become part of our monthly menu.




Recipe:
1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/4 in rounds
1/2 tea kosher salt (I used regular)
2 tea olive oil
3/4 cup of whole-wheat panko crumbs
6 tbsp of parmesan
3/4 tea garlic powder
1/2 tea dried basil
1/2 tea dried oregano
1/8 tea blk pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups of marinara sauce
2 ounces (1/2 cup) mozzarella



Slice eggplant, sprinkle with salt. Lay eggplant on paper towels and place your glass baking dish on top to draw out moisture. (let sit 30 minutes)
While eggplant is resting, heat olive oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add panko stirring often till golden. Transfer to smaller dish, cool for 5 minutes. Add 3 tbsp of parmesan and the rest of the spices and salts - toss. Arrange in separate bowls, egg white and flour. Preheat oven to 425. Take eggplant, brush off salt and blot with paper towel. Dredge slices on one side in first the flour (dust off excess), then egg white then crumbs. Place crumb-side up, on two foil-lined baking sheets. Spritz with cooking spray. Bake 15 minutes or until tender.
Spoon 1/4 cup of marinara over the bottom on an 8 in square pan. Add half the eggplant slices. Pour another 1/2 cup marinara over the eggplant; top with remaining 3 tbsp parmesan. Dot the final 1/2 cup marinara; sprinkle mozzarella over the top. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy with your favorite wine!

This weekend we were on the move. On Saturday, Mom and I went to Hickory to celebrate Valentine’s Day early with a pedicure. Paul got off work early and we took a quick trip to the mall to return some makeup. I recently purchased a wonderful foundation from Dior, but after a couple of weeks I notice that my skin started to get very irritated. After a quick trip to the Nordstrom Laura Mercier counter I learned the Dior foundation I had purchased was very hydrating – I have oily skin, so it wasn’t a good fit for me. So now I have a new foundation by Laura and I am super excited!



After the mall we met up with Casey and Blair for dinner in Gastonia. We decide to give Olive Garden a try, but with an hour and forty-five minute wait we moved on to the next option a new Italian restaurant. Our wine was delicious, but the meal not so much. Paul and Blair ordered a wedge salad! When it showed up at the table, I kid you not it was a half of head of iceberg lettuce, two slices of tomatoes on the side and that was it, no bacon, no cheese! We all had a good laugh and vowed never to return!

Sunday Paul and I skipped Church and Sunday school “we missed everyone though” to celebrate my grandmother’s 95th Birthday…yes 95. She looks absolutely amazing and hardly has a wrinkle on her face! We all met at K&W and celebrated her Birthday, so all of her friends could stop by for a visit. Here are two photos from the luncheon. 

Baby Hunter and Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment